Cari S. Simon
MANAGING LEGAL COUNSEL | DENVER
Cari S. Simon is a Title IX and Victims' Rights Attorney who focuses on the civil representation of victims of sexual violence and other misconduct on campus and K-12 schools.
Ms. Simon has dedicated her life to fighting for women's rights and is a leader in the national movement to address campus sexual assault. Ms. Simon pioneered rights for sexual assault victims by clerking for Judge Morgan Christen of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and then serving as the inaugural fellow at the Harvard Law School Gender Violence Program. Prior to law school, Ms. Simon worked in the United States Congress as the Director of the Congressional Victims’ Rights Caucus.
Recently, Ms. Simon has taken action in the “End The Backlog” Movement and successfully prevented the destruction of a rape kit in Washington D.C. and preserved & maintained another in Chicago. It is estimated that thousands of rape kits sit on shelves and go untested in police departments and crime lab storage facilities across the country — known as the rape kit backlog. Undergoing a rape kit is extremely hard on victims and to have it sit untested or destroyed means that the healing and justice sought by a sexual violence survivor cannot begin. Ms. Simon has successfully assisted survivors in determining where their rape kits are located, preventing their destruction, and ensuring their maintenance into the future.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude
- President of the Harvard Women's Law Association
- Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Harvard Journal of Law and Gender
- Harvard Law School Gender Violence Program
- Know Your IX Board
- National Crime Victim Law Institute ("NCVLI") Advisory Council
- National Women's Law Center
- Public Justice
- U.S. Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women ("OVW")
- National Crime Victim Bar Association ("NCVBA")
- National Organization for Victim Assistance ("NOVA")
- End Sexual Violence in Education Leadership Council
- Partnered with NCVBA to provide advanced legal training on Title IX and school sexual violence to United States Attorneys General across the country.
- Trains campus advocates nationally as a NOVA faculty member.
- Speaker at the NCVLI Crime Victim Law Conference.
- Presenter at The Rocky Mountain Campus Safety Summit: a conference for college and university administrators, faculty, staff, advocates, Title IX officers, Campus Security and Police, and students interested in improving their campus efforts to prevent and respond to sexual assault, gender and relationship violence, and stalking.
- Regularly presents for the Denver Rape Crisis Center's 40-hour required training of all hotline volunteers.
Ms. Simon’s Title IX expertise, cases, and clients have been featured on/in:
- Good Morning America ("GMA")
- National Public Radio ("NPR")
- The Washington Post
- The New York Times
- The Harvard Crimson
- Various Other Media Outlets
- State of California