Rachael J. Denhollander
Rachael J. Denhollander is an attorney, author, advocate, and educator who is recognized as one of the world’s leading voices on the topic of sexual abuse. Ms. Denhollander joined The Fierberg National Law Group to transition into the field of trial practice, focusing on representing survivors of sexual abuse as part of the firm’s team in cases around the country.
Possessing a unique blend of professional skills, personal experiences, and dynamic communication style, Ms. Denhollander is a sought-after media commentator, speaker, and consultant. Her grasp of legal issues, corporate ethics, effective leadership strategies, and investigative practices are coupled with a trauma-informed, deeply compassionate understanding of the realities facing survivors of sexual abuse and their path toward healing. Applying such experience and skills in the context of trial advocacy will ensure that clients of The Fierberg National Law Group have the best, trauma-informed legal representation available – anywhere.
In 2016, Ms. Denhollander became known internationally as the first woman to pursue criminal charges and speak publicly against USA Gymnastics Women’s National Team doctor Larry Nassar, one of the most prolific sexual abusers in recorded history. As a result of Ms. Denhollander’s activism, over 300 women—including numerous Olympic medalists—came forward as survivors of Nassar’s abuse, eventually leading to his life imprisonment. Ms. Denhollander’s courageous tenacity and ongoing advocacy helped trigger a complete upheaval at USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University. Ms. Denhollander was instrumental in helping secure a record-setting $500 million settlement with Michigan State University for Nassar survivors in 2018, and a further $380 million settlement with USA Gymnastics in 2021. In 2019, Ms. Denhollaner published an autobiographical account of her experience entitled, “What is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics.”
Ms. Denhollander was named one of TIME Magazine’s “100 Most Inﬂuential People in the World” and one of Glamour Magazine’s “Women of the Year” in 2018. Additionally, she received the “Inspiration of the Year” award from Sports Illustrated, was a joint recipient of ESPN’s “Arthur Ashe Courage Award,” and was named a “Michiganian of the Year” by the Detroit News, along with numerous other awards and recommendations.
- J.D., Oak Brook College of Law
Lectures and Professional Presentations:
- Ms. Denhollander has engaged audiences with lectures and live Q & A’s on the campus of numerous universities across the nation, including Harvard, Stanford, NYU, Columbia Law School, UC Berkeley, USC, Pepperdine, and others. She has lectured on leadership at both the United States Military Academy at West Point and the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis and has been invited to keynote the National Center on Sexual Exploitation’s annual conference.
- Choosing the Harder Right Over the Easier Wrong: Decision-Making and Ethical Leadership.
- What is a Girl or Boy Worth?: Preventing and Responding to Sexual Abuse In Our Communities
- An Accidental Benefit of Doing the Right Thing: Fiduciary Responsibility and Organizational Response in the Age of #MeToo
- Your True Worth: Understanding Your Value in a World of Sexting, Pornography, and Abuse
Ms. Denhollander has been featured multiple times on/in:
- Athlete A (Streaming on Netflix)
- FOX News
- The Athletic
- The New York Times
- The Washington Post
- Time Magazine
- Der Spiegel
- The Guardian
- Wall Street Journal
- Associated Press
- USA Today
- Glamour Magazine
Bar & Court Admissions:
- State of California