Expert Mass Tort Attorneys in Michigan & Nationwide
We Have the Legal Expertise and Trial-Proven Background to Navigate the Intricacies of Mass Tort Litigation.
Unlike conventional personal injury lawsuits, mass torts encompass numerous plaintiffs who share a common experience of injury, illness, or harm resulting from the negligence or misconduct of another party. It’s important to note that mass torts differ from class action lawsuits, as each claimant in a mass tort lawsuit is entitled to a distinct judgment tailored to their unique situation and injuries, in contrast to class action suits where all claimants receive the same settlement.
What is Mass Tort Litigation?
Mass tort litigation refers to legal action taken by many individuals who have suffered harm or injury as a result of the same wrongful act or negligence. Unlike class action lawsuits, where a single representative sues on behalf of a group, mass torts involve individual lawsuits that are consolidated into a single case for efficiency.
Mass torts can arise from various situations, including defective products, dangerous drugs, environmental disasters, medical malpractice, and more. The harm caused in these cases can range from physical injuries to emotional distress and financial losses. The goal of mass tort litigation is to hold the responsible parties accountable and secure compensation for the victims. Unlike class action lawsuits, each claimant in a mass tort lawsuit is entitled to a unique judgment specific to their circumstances and injuries; whereas class action lawsuits result in the same payout for each claimant.
The Fierberg National Law Group Has Provided Mass Tort Representation to:
- 21 families of victims of the April 2007 Massacre at Virginia Tech;
- Families of 4 college students killed outside of a fraternity party at Texas A&M University;
- Multiple families of children assaulted and graphically videotaped by their 3rd-grade teacher in North Carolina;
- Various families of children sexually assaulted in their cabin by an older camper at a Washington D.C. summer camp – trial verdict on behalf of one camper totaling $550,000;
- Multiple high school student-athletes sexually assaulted by their weight room trainer and coach in Michigan;
- Several women sexually assaulted and harassed by a professor in New York;
- Multiple sorority members burned during a pledge event in Indiana; and
- Women sexually assaulted by the same fraternity member at a Georgia Tech fraternity house after a “Luring Your Rapebait” email was circulated within the organization.
Other Types of Mass Tort Cases:
Mass tort cases can take many forms, each with its own unique set of circumstances and legal challenges. Some common types of mass torts include:
- Product Liability: These cases involve defective products, such as faulty medical devices, dangerous consumer goods, or unsafe vehicles. Victims may suffer injuries, illnesses, or even death due to these defective products.
- Pharmaceutical Litigation: Pharmaceutical companies can be held accountable for manufacturing and distributing drugs that cause harmful side effects, fail to perform as intended, or are improperly labeled. Victims of dangerous drugs may experience severe health complications or wrongful death.
- Environmental Disasters: When large-scale environmental disasters occur, such as oil spills, chemical leaks, or toxic waste dumping, individuals and communities can suffer significant harm. Mass tort litigation can help those affected seek compensation for property damage, health problems, and other losses.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical professionals who provide substandard care or make mistakes that result in patient harm can be held liable for their actions. Mass torts in medical malpractice may involve multiple victims who have suffered similar injuries or complications due to the same healthcare provider’s negligence.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to The Fierberg National Law Group. Our dedicated team is here to provide the personalized attention and aggressive representation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation and take the first step towards justice.