Michigan Doctor Sexual Abuse Attorney
Sexual abuse by a healthcare professional is a grave violation of trust, ethics, and both state and federal laws. If you or a loved one have experienced such abuse, it is crucial to understand your legal options and seek the help of a skilled Michigan doctor sexual abuse attorney. Michigan has taken bold steps to protect victims of medical professional sexual abuse. This includes passing laws that allow victims to seek justice and compensation through civil lawsuits against their abuser. While this is a step in the right direction, it can be difficult for those affected by such abuse to navigate the legal system and understand their rights. That’s why having an experienced Michigan Doctor Sexual Abuse Attorney on your side can make all the difference. In this comprehensive guide, we will discuss the different aspects of physician sexual abuse cases, the process of filing a lawsuit, and how an experienced attorney can be of assistance in these complex cases.
Understanding Sexual Abuse by Doctors
For doctors and physicians, sexual abuse can involve both verbal and physical acts. Verbal acts may include inappropriate sexual comments, expressions of thoughts or feelings, or gestures that can be interpreted as sexual in nature by the patient. Physical acts of sexual abuse can involve unwanted touching, inappropriate examinations, or any other form of contact under the guise of necessary medical care.
In such cases, a Michigan doctor sexual abuse attorney can help you understand your rights and guide you through the legal process to seek justice.
The Prevalence of Doctor Sexual Abuse Cases in Michigan
Between 2011 and 2016, the Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs received approximately 238 allegations against doctors, physicians, and other healthcare professionals for sexual abuse. An article by the Lansing State Journal reported that 30 healthcare professionals were punished for sexual abuse and molestation between 2017 and 2018.
These numbers show the unfortunate prevalence of sexual abuse cases in the medical field. It is crucial for victims to come forward and seek the help of a Michigan doctor sexual abuse attorney to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent further abuse.
What Constitutes Sexual Abuse for a Physician?
Sexual abuse for a physician can be in the form of verbal acts, which may include:
- Inappropriate sexual comments or jokes
- Expressions of thoughts and feelings that are sexual in nature
- Gestures that can be interpreted as sexual by the patient
Physical acts of sexual abuse may involve:
- Unwanted touching or fondling
- Inappropriate examinations
- Any form of contact under the pretense of necessary medical care
Notable Doctor Sex Abuse Lawsuits
Many doctor sex abuse lawsuits involve a single patient, but some cases involve widespread abuse spanning years and affecting dozens or even hundreds of victims.
Some notable lawsuits include:
- University of Michigan’s investigation into allegations against former director of the University Health Service physician Robert E. Anderson
- Larry Nassar M.D.’s case involving abuse of patients as a Michigan State University athletic physician and with the U.S. Gymnastics team
- Richard Strauss M.D., an athletic medicine physician at Ohio State University, accused of sexually abusing over one hundred male athletes during examinations
- George Tyndall M.D., a gynecologist at the University of Southern California, facing lawsuits filed by hundreds of women claiming inappropriate sexual contact
- Dennis Kelly M.D., another University of Southern California doctor accused of sexually abusing dozens of gay and bisexual students under the pretense of medical examinations
- James Heaps M.D., a UCLA physician accused of sexually abusing and assaulting female patients between 1989 and 2017
- Zvi Levran M.D., a hockey doctor working with youth hockey players in Minnesota and metro Detroit, accused of assaulting young male hockey players during medical exams
Rights that Survivors Have Under These New Laws
Survivors of doctor sexual abuse have the right to pursue justice through civil lawsuits and seek compensation for damages. These damages can include non-economic damages, such as emotional distress, post-traumatic stress disorder, and loss of enjoyment of life. They can also include significant economic damages, including ongoing therapy and medication needs, a loss of earning capacity, wage loss, and loss of services.
How a Michigan Doctor Sexual Abuse Attorney Can Help Navigate the Legal Process
Navigating the legal process can be difficult for survivors of doctor or physician sexual abuse, which is why it’s important to have an experienced attorney on your side who understands these laws and can guide you through the process. An experienced Michigan Doctor Sexual Abuse Attorney can help you understand your rights, identify the steps needed to pursue justice and compensation and represent you in court.
Take The First Step
The TFNL Group is a team of experienced attorneys dedicated to helping survivors s of doctor sexual abuse in Michigan. Our attorneys have decades of experience dealing with these cases, and understand the complexities that come along with them. From identifying the steps needed to pursue justice and compensation, to representing clients in court proceedings, our team is here to help victims of medical professional sexual abuse get the justice and compensation they deserve.
We understand that the process of pursuing justice can be overwhelming and intimidating for many victims, but it doesn’t have to be. Our team is here to provide guidance and support throughout this difficult time, so you don’t have to navigate this process alone.